Key Features & Benefits
Intelligent workload placement and sizing decisions based on real-time application demand
Continuous real-time (and historical) full-stack visibility into hyper-converges, and legacy, infrastructure
Autonomic hyper-converged management that spans the key operational phases: run, plan, build
Real-time placement of IO-intensive workloads alongside non-IO-intensive workloads (no storage tiering!)
Quick, accurate planning that keeps pace with user growth & infrastructure changes
Fully leverage the right storage performance with the right workloads
Minimize performance risks for the full lifecycle of all workloads
Manage more workloads without adding headcount
Optimize the Health of Your Private Cloud
Tightly integrating compute, storage, and network in order to manage them in software certainly addresses ease of management, but the same workload placement, sizing, and provisioning decisions must be made. Traditional threshold-based scripts and storage tiering do not assure performance and are less efficient. Turbonomic’s patented algorithms enable workloads (as well as, applications, VMs and containers) to self-manage in real-time. The platform scales with any private cloud (or hybrid, public, or multi-cloud) environment. Our customers manage tens of thousands of workloads with Turbonomic, empowering their teams to do more with less.
How to Run an Autonomic Data Center
- Install and Deploy Turbonomic: It takes 15 minutes. Actions appear in under an hour. Types of actions include:
- Provision — Add resource capacity, usually by adding an entity
- Decommission — Stop, suspend, or remove an entity
- Place — Place a consumer (ex. container, VM) on a different provider (ex. VM, Host)
- (Re) Configure — Change the allocation of resources on an entity
- Automate Turbonomic: Over 70% of our customers have automated and that’s how you get the most value out of Turbonomic. But, we understand it’s a journey, so initially types of actions can be automated incrementally and scoped to certain segments of the environment.
Continuous Real-Time Workload Decisions
Turbonomic enhances hyper-converged solutions with automatable sizing, placement, and provisioning decisions throughout the lifecycle of all workloads. The platform continuously evaluates the resource tradeoffs that exist in the environment and makes the decisions that avoid contention and performance degradation across all layers of the stack, including the flash storage, network, and compute resources packaged in hyper-converged infrastructure.
Right Storage, Right Workload
Turbonomic ensures that IO-intensive workloads access flash storage in hyper-converged storage, while workloads that will perform just as well on disk use that resource. The distinction that Turbonomic makes between flash and disk storage within hyper-converged infrastructure, ensures that you’re making the most of both resources, avoiding hidden and wasteful storage tiering that typically comes with hyper-converged software management console.
Plan Quickly and Easily as You Scale
Whether you want to upgrade your hardware and invest in hyper-converged infrastructure and you’re wondering which workloads can really benefit from this investment, or you’ve already invested and now you need to determine how many additional units when, Turbonomic can help.
When running a plan, Turbonomic takes a snap shot of the real-time environment. It then executes any “what if” scenario you define in order to determine how much hardware, including hyper-converged, when.
How to Plan Using Real-Time Information
In the Plan View, Turbonomic allows you to run and customize different types of plans for your hyper-converged infrastructure:
- Run a plan that adds workload once (demand spike) or at a regular interval (steady growth) of your choosing (monthly, quarterly, etc.) to see how those new deployments will be distributed across the current environment and whether there’s enough hardware to support it. When workloads cannot be placed safely, Turbonomic will let you know.
- Run plans of adding new hyper-converged infrastructure (once or regularly over a period of time) to your environment to see how workloads will be distributed across it based on the current state of your environment. Turbonomic will place workloads across the new hardware in accordance with which ones can benefit the most from the resources that hyper-converged provides.
Read Every Plan in Seconds to learn more.
Because Turbonomic “what if” scenarios are based on snapshots of the entire current (or historical) environment, planning changes to your hyper-converged infrastructure is more accurate. The platform understands the real-time compute, network, and storage demands in your environment, so you can be sure you’re adding/purchasing only the hardware you need, when you need it. No more overprovisioning.
Turbonomic always has a real-time view into your environment, so you can focus on creating the right plans and testing the right scenarios, rather than spending your time pulling together the data you need to run the plans.
Deployment Challenges on Hyper-Converged Infrastructure
Where you place new workloads in a hyper-converged environment impacts the new workload, as well as existing workloads in the shared environment. Placement decisions must consider the resource tradeoffs that exist across the environment and within hyper-converged infrastructure. Hyper-converged software typically comes with automated scripts that are threshold-based, one-dimensional (only consider one resource at a time) and ultimately rely on some amount of over-provisioning to mitigate resource contention.
Automatable Workload Placement
Turbonomic understands the interdependences between compute, network, and storage, whether those resources have been architected as separate pieces of hardware, converged infrastructure, or hyper-converged infrastructure:
- It will place workloads at deployment based on their demand profile and the currently available supply of those resources to assure performance from the start.
- It will place new workloads without disrupting the performance of workloads already running in the environment.
Reserving Capacity for New Workloads
Turbonomic can reserve space in the hyper-converged infrastructure for upcoming deployments. If the infrastructure can no longer support the anticipated load, the software will notify administrators. Upon deployment, the software will identify on which targets (clusters, hosts, and datastores) each new workload should be deployed.
See what our Workload Automation for Hybrid Cloud can do for you.
Decisions in under an hour. Payback in less than 3 months.Download Free Trial