Part Three: Changing the Game: Prevent It… Control IT
This is the 3rd Part in my blog series IT Management: Are We Chasing Yesterday’s Problem? You can read Parts I & II here: PART ONE: Alert Suppression is NOT Root Cause Analysis and PART TWO: To troubleshoot or Not to troubleshoot?.
I’d love to hear your comments along the way.
Chasing problems after the fact just isn’t cutting it and I think we’d all agree that a much more effective approach is to actually take advantage of the thousands of control knobs and the inherent fluidity provided with virtualization. This would entail a closed loop process that monitors, analyzes and controls the virtualized environment. As we discussed earlier, the monitoring part is easy – but visibility is not the end-state. Intelligent analysis and control continuously assesses the thousands of performance metrics and available capacity across the entire IT stack, considers all business and physical constraints, and drives the necessary actions to tune and maintain the environment in an optimal operating state. All this should be done regardless of established thresholds or event correlation and alerts and is oriented on assuring application QoS while utilizing the virtualized infrastructure as efficiently as possible. Instead of alerting you when problems occur, or are about to occur, this approach prevents them from happening and controls the environment in a “healthy” state – optimizing performance, maximizing infrastructure efficiencies and reducing operational costs!
Changing the game requires changing the traditional approach employed by virtualization management software. Instead of throwing at you more and more point tools with minimum value that just increase your management nightmare (i.e. more alerts, more consoles, more manual data analysis required), we need a Unified Virtualization Management Foundations (UVMF) that is comprised of three core tenets:
- Abstraction – a representative model of the virtualized environment that abstracts away the limitless details and provides a common, semantically-rich interfacefor introspecting and controlling the environment.
- Analysis – an intelligent analysis engine driven by the knowledge captured by the abstraction layer and used to make continuous, real-time decisions for operations management and future planning scenarios.
- Automation – expose the foundations as collections of services orchestrated using workflow engines driven by business policies.
Here’s how we look at it at VMTurbo:
- Our UVMF Abstraction layer represents the virtualized environment as a market of buyers and sellers, e.g., Hosts, VMs, Applications, etc., that trade commodities that happen to be compute resources, e.g., memory, CPU, IO, swapping, transactions, etc., where commodities are priced as a function of their utilization.
- Our UVMF analytic engine, the Economic Scheduling Engine (ESE), uses the market to drive automated intelligent decisions on how to maintain the environment in, or converge it to, the optimal operating state. Sellers continuously price their resources/commodities as a function of their utilization, buyers continuously “shop” for the “best deal” they can get for what they consume and the invisible hand of the market drives the environment to a state of equilibrium, what we call the Optimal Operating Zone.
- Our UVMF automation functionality utilizes the outputs of the ESE to deliver closed loop orchestrationthat keeps your virtualized/cloud environment in its Optimal Operating Zone, preventing performance bottlenecks while maximizing infrastructure efficiencies.
VMTurbo UVMF is changing the game…
- Providing intelligent and actionable information with minimal data collection and monitoring information and without requiring perfect knowledge of the environment.
- Reversing the current trends of chasing too much information and not knowing what to do with it.
Leveraging the power of abstraction to
- Scale to the increasing sizes of clouds and virtualized environments
- Provide end-to-end analysis of these environments.
- Meet the challenges of dynamically changing environment – in real-time.
“Less is More”! Done right, you’ll spend a lot less time looking at monitoring dashboards wondering what to do when red lights come on, you’ll be able to get ahead of the curve, prevent the red and yellow “Christmas tree” and finally get in control of your IT environment. Give it a try – download our FREE virtual appliance today. You’ll have it up and running with actionable recommendations in minutes